Friday, June 22, 2007

Speedos and Thongs

On Saturday, the 16th I headed to Rio de Janiero. Instead of taking a 24 hour bus, I flew (only 4 hours), even though it was delayed. I arrived around 8ish and you get approached by all these offical taxi drivers, that usually cost more then metered taxis. Chris´s friend Leo and I were suppose to meet up, so I call him to let him know I´ve arrived in Rio and what is my best option for getting to Ipanema (where I was staying). It ends up he hurt his knee and was not in Rio, so he arranges for a taxi to come pick me up. I get to my hostel, The Wave hostel and decided I need a drink and wanted to go out. Oh yeah when i got of the plan it was like 70 out.

So I meet a bunch of the people staying at our hostel and head out with them. I meet some great people, Felipe, Brazilian, but living in Canada, Johnny, from Ireland, and Joe, Irish as well. A bunch others, but these are the guys I mainly hung with for the night. We go to this rock bar, Imperial, which is within walking distance to the hostel. Of course I got the traditional Caprinha, which was fabulous, ok so I had four of them. We were going to go out to this other place that was in Copacabana, but it ended up being crap, plus costing 35 reals, 15 bucks about. So we stay. At around 3ish, we meet some Brazilian girls who are going for sushi, so we as well. Oh man, it was fantastic. Went back to the bar and was in bed by 4ish.

The next day, met Lotta and Mel from my room in the hostel and went for a swim. Our hostel was only 3 blocks from the beach!! GO for a swim, grab some food, go back to the beach for some sun. At the beach you can get everything you want. Beer, shrimp, t'shirts, jewlery, henna tattoos, basically you are constently being harrassed by pedalers So, ladies, Brazilian men are fantastic, however, a lot of them wear speedos, and to be honest, not sure if those are just the gay ones, or also straight ones, but everyone wears them. Granted some of the guys that were wearing them had amazing bodies. . Sorry ladies, I couldn´t convince any to come back with me, but a few tried to convince me to stay! We then went and walked around and walked to Copacabana, which isn´t as nice as Ipanema.

Monday, I signed up for the taxi tour. THis consists of a taxi driver that takes you to all the main sights: Christ the Redeemer, Santa Teresa, Lapa and the famous steps. It was a great day and I can´t wait for everyone to see the pictures. Because it was my last night, we went to dinner at an Irish bar, which was super good and I headed out with, Johnny the irish guy. Once again home at 4ish.

Tuesday was a mellow day and I was leaving to go to Sao Paulo to catch my plane. So basically just lounged on the beach and did a little shopping. Then comes the day from hell....

No comments: