Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Salta y Cafayate

So I´ve been in Salta since Saturday morning and it´s been pretty great. The town itself, is by far the nicest I´´ve seen so far. It has a very nice city center and the hostel where I am staying is grand. Saturday night I ate carne! So I´ve had my first experience with beef in 10+ years. At our hostel they had an all-you-can-eat bbq, which was awesome, there was ensalada, carne y chorizo, all of which were fantastic. I met loads of great people, including Sam and Rachel, whom shared a dorm with me. We also drank the local beer, cerveza de Salta, which is actually quite good. After dinner they had traditional folk music and dancing which was awesome. Mind you we ate dinner at 10:00. After the music we hung out and continued to drink and then everyone from our hostel went out on the town. We went to this cool little bar, and then out to a disco, Mystic, which was very good. Of course they played mostly Spanish music, but it was still fun. Made it home at 6:00am and slept until half past 12. I was suppose to originally hire a car to drive to Cachi and Cayfayate with some other girls, but it ended up to be quite difficult. On Sundays here (South America) all the shops are closed, so it was really a lazy day. We went up the telefonica, which is a cable car and has a view of the whole city, and then climbed back down, over 1000 steps. Since the cold spell in Paraguay, it has been quite nice here and looks to be for the next few weeks. In fact I think I will be getting beach time in Rio and possible Uruguay as well. So instead of hiring a car, Rachel, Sam and I went on a tour of Cafayate. Again, another amazing place. It is almost like the Grand Canyon, but has the most amazing colors in the mountains. I took loads of pictures and as soon as I can, I will send them out. It is about a four hour car ride, but we stopped so many times to take pictures and at the end of the day, I think it was much nicer than hiring a car, because our guide pointed out some things that we would have otherwised missed. In Cafayate, they are known for their wine, so we went to three different winerys which were quite good. They are known for a white, Tollarantes and a red Malbec, which are good. They also make a Cab and a blend, both of which I bought. Cafayate is also a pretty little town and for lunch we all tried different local cuisine at this place our guide recommended. After that we walked around the square and then went to the ice cream shop and I had the wine icecream, which they are known for. It was really good, and tasted just like the wine.
My spanish is getting a little better, but I think when I get home I might take some classes, because I definately want to come back to S. America.

Tonight I am off to Cordoba, orginally I was going to go to Mendoza, which is near the Andes, but decided to go to Cordoba instead. It´s another 12 hour bus ride, whoppee, but this time we went the expensive route and are going on a cami bus. What that means is the seats recline all the way back and you get food and drink. It is only 10 pesos more, which isn´t even 5 bucks. Well I am off the relax a bit. I hope all is well with everyone, only a few more weeks and then it´s back home. :(

No comments: