Sunday, January 30, 2011

Philosophical or Melancholy.....

This weekend was a pretty mellow weekend, taxes, work, laundry, etc....Yes I know my life is so exciting! I am looking forward however to this next coming weekend....I will say more on this in a bit.

Moving is a funny thing. I feel that not only will I gain new friendships while I am on my journey, but might possibly lose some of my friendships from my past. Of course, I am on a mission to keep this from happening and with the invention of skype, facebook and email it shouldn't be as difficult. However, I realize that the friendships I do have, I don't want to just communicate this way. A phone call, letter or even a left message is so much more meaningful then anything else. I have great friends and am lucky to have met such wonderful people and I know they will always be my friends. But really....when you are 3000 miles away, living separate lives isn't it easy to get caught up and forget to call, write, whatnot......For some people yes, these are the people who I will call acquaintances and not true friends.

I guess I bring all this up because of these are all long distance relationships, not just the romantic one that I have or don't have. My friends are far away and we now have to work at maintaining our friendship, just like any relationship. Why is so much harder for some people, than others? It's hard, and it's going to get harder when the phone isn't an option, but skype, emails and letters are, but who writes REAL letters these days, so send me those addresses. I plan to, at least each month I hope to send out a few letters to friends and family. Of course, the blog will be going on, but I am sure won't be that exciting.

Long distance sucks! I miss my friends, family and whatever the other one is! I get sad when I hear about my friends doing things that I can't do, because I am not there. To see my friend's kids get bigger and even my niece and nephews. I miss being able to call my friends and say, 'let's go to dinner at sushi cafe,' let's meet at Rubicon, or it's time to pick up our shipment in Amador. Or even our girls nights.....we never did finish Sex in the City.

Long distance sucks, when you meet somebody and really like them. Can it work??? Really??? Or is it just a fantasy. I like to think if it's meant to be, it's meant to be....but is it really. Don't we control our fate and destiny. Is two years too long to ask someone to put their life on pause, even though I am willing to try? I don't know the answer to these questions, I am learning that I just need to take it one day at a time and let the cards fall where they may.

As for that, Kevin is coming out to visit this weekend. We are meeting in Manhattan and it is going to be super awesome. No matter what we are, will be or will not be, this weekend will be great. We have great dinner plans at Le Bernardin on Saturday night and I am sure it will be extremely memorable. It's about the experience we share together and we can add this to the list.

So I leave with this quote, which I thought very fitting for my situation and all the hard work I've put in to get what I want. I do know one thing, I've been told "NO" a lot, but my hard work and persistence has paid off......

"Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

GVo said...

I miss you and am sorry that we keep missing each other...you are, and will remain, a true friend. I hope to talk very soon. Good luck with your move and enjoy your weekend with Kevin. XO, G