Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A new found love.....crossfit

As some of you know, I've recently drank the kool-aid, that is the crossfit kool-aid.  I've always been in pursuing it, but I always thought it was expensive for what it is.  However, the cost is well worth it.  Basically, it's a personal trainer there to kick your butt in a group atmosphere.  Of course, I am the beginning stages of it, as well as training for the California International Marathon.  I've taken two fundamental classes and have really enjoyed it.  Our coach, Ryan, is great, he really is focused on form and making sure we are performing the movements correctly, in order to avoid injury.  I want to document, not only my journey through CrossFit, but also training for a marathon. Because I've been focused more on my running and less on weight training, I am extremely sore.  Most of what we did Monday, was learn how to use the bar, for squats, presses, etc.  After that, we did a 7 minute workout.  This doesn't seem like much, but it kicked my butt.  It was seven minutes of as many reps as you possible or AMRAP, or 12 push press, 9 push ups and 7 squats. I think I got through 6 reps. Today was more of the same, we learned about dead lifts, ball squats, wall balls and pull ups (which I suck at).  Today's WOD, was 4 rounds of half block run, 10 kettle bell swings, 8 wall balls, and 4 pull ups.  A tough workout for sure.  I am pretty sure I am not going to be able to move tomorrow.  I am also trying to convince Kevin that he should do it.  It's a team atmosphere and everyone there is very encouraging.  I am super excited to see my body get stronger.  Its intense with my marathon training, but so far, it's fantastic.  With all of this, I am also trying to eat better, I am not going paleo, just because I do love some carbs, and also not into eating a lot of red meat.  I am just trying to eat cleaner, less processed food, more food in season and cooking most, if not all my meals.  Being in Sacramento, we are lucky to have such fresh produce available to us. I love our Sunday farmers market and the new midtown farmers market on Saturday.  So with that said...welcome to my journey.

No comments: